Friday, December 20, 2013

Struggles

I would like to preface this post with a reminder that I know how lucky my family is. We are fed, clothed, and kept warm and there are others who aren't. Our cancer diagnosis isn't terminal like many others. We are rallied around by those who love us. I know we are blessed. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have bad days or think the following ramblings. (Please excuse any offensive language.)
-----------------—--------------------------
Am I a bad mom? While those exact words may not come out of anyone's mouth, it has been hinted at. Am I a bad wife? The same-it's never been said, only hinted at. I am a stay home parent so obviously I have the most time to clean the house, cook picture perfect meals from scratch, keep up with laundry and of course make sure not a single crumb is left on the floor at the end of the day. (Joke is on you!) the truth is, I'm far from being to accomplish any of these things. 

I had a friend who was talking to me recently, while trying to figure out the next way to bless our family. In not so many words, she pretty much said she couldn't imagine walking in our shoes. I cried because no one has been THAT honest with me since the beginning of this. I've held so much inside of me for that reason because I don't want to scare people with the dark places that exist inside me. It's really, really dark in there. 

People call me brave. I'm not brave, you fools. I'm scared as hell. There are so many details in my head that I've learned from our oncologist, that I spare people the details when they ask. I give generic answers. Like the likelihood of Aidan's tumor regrowing. The effect that the stupid tumor is having mentally and emotionally on AIDAN. He is not the same babe that went into surgery to remove that tumor. And I am most certainly not the same mama. 

I don't know how in the hell I get out of bed every day. All I want to do is hide. And sleep. And forget. God, I wish I could forget. But I'm forever changed. This dark place inside of me is haunting and it is what steals my motivation away. If I were to be evaluated by a medical profession on my mental/emotional state, I'm 99.9% positive they would find me legally insane. If I start crying, I won't stop. If I let every emotion that's flying around in my head, out of my mouth, it's game over. People will literally look at 
me funny. 

The easiest tasks are so hard for me. My sink is full of dishes? Who gives a crap, my kid has cancer. The kitchen floor has food from 3 days ago on it still? Go to hell, my kid has cancer. CANCER HAS RUINED ME!!!!! I have a huge heart for others suffering, but no room for mistakes from myself. The stress makes me tell. A LOT. And it's embarassinf because I'm so beside myself that I can't handle even the smallest conflicts anymore. My poor kids.  But I'm doing the best that I can right now. Just pray they don't remember their psycho mother during their toddler years. I hate to think I'm crushing their spirits, but I literally don't know what to do with myself. I know I need therapy again, trust me. But will that fix the damage I've already caused? 

Just know that cheery, positive and encouraging Courtney, isn't all she's cracked up to be. I'm hurting. But it's MY choice to display what I want to others. 

Friend, and you know who you are, thank you for your honesty. It's what I've wanted the most-someone who I can tell all these feelings to. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm feeling the exact same thing right now Courtney. In fact I was just about to write a blog about the dark place that I've been in for the past 2 months now. This is definitely a low on this cancer roller coaster. I can't seem to shake it. I wish we lived closer, I could really use someone that is walking in similar shoes. Luv ya girlie! ❤️